"And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress and keep it". Genesis 2:15

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Braiding Onions

Today we braided the onions we harvested a few days ago. Anna wanted to learn how, and she is very proud of her onion braid in the picture above. If you can French braid your hair, you can braid onions. Actually I can't French braid my hair, braiding onions is much easier because they are not on top of my head! 

Take three onions by their leaves and start braiding like a regular braid (if you dont know how to braid, look it up!) Add new onions into the three sections of leaves as you go up the braid, so you dont run out of length to braid with.

When we are done with the braid we fold over the top to form a loop and secure it with a big rubber band. Then I hang them in the pantry from a hook in the ceiling. This is several braids. I am not sure how much weight this hook can take. I am going to put up another hook for the rest of the onions. Last year my onions were stored this way all summer  and winter, and came out beautifully. I didn't buy any onions except for a few weeks in spring.




If you have small onions that do not have long leaves to braid, you can work them into a braided string. This way is almost easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment